In 1754, Nova Scotia's Lieutenant Governor Charles Lawrence, offered land grants to twenty families, who referred to their settlement as Lawrence's Town, which became Lawrencetown.
As more families eventually were drawn to the Eastern Shore, the area was divided into Upper, and Lower Lawrencetown. Today there are three distinct areas - Upper, West and East Lawrencetown.
Located on Highway 207 along the Cole Harbour route Lawrencetown is famous for the beach that now attracts surfers from across North America. This area mainly featured homes along trunk 207 and small lanes until subdivisions started emerging in the 1970’s. New home construction is still available in Beach Breeze Estates and home prices range from $150,000 to high priced ocean front homes. It’s location only twelve minutes from the sprawling community of Cole Harbour makes it attractive for families wanting larger lots not too far from amenities.
Ross Road School: Grades PP – 9, including French Immersion
Atlantic View Elementary: Grades PP – 6
- Ross Road School: Grades PP – 9, including French Immersion
- Cole Harbour High: Grades 10 – 12, including French Immersion
Lawrencetown Beach is a provincial beach park 19 km east of Dartmouth on Route 207 along the Eastern Shore. This popular sand-and-cobble beach is noted for its surf. Strong rip tides and currents are common; swimmers and surfers must exercise caution. The park has supervised swimming areas in July and August. Park features include ramped boardwalks, change houses, showers, and flush toilets.
The beach park connects to a walking trail on a former railbed and is part of the larger Atlantic View Trail. Community members began trail development for the Atlantic View Trail in 1999. The abandoned rail bed was seen as an opportunity to promote a safe, healthy, active transportation route and a great way to encourage tourism and protect the natural beauty of the area. The trail is part of the Trans Canada Trail system and connects to the Cole Harbour-Lawrencetown park system to the west and the Musquodoboit trail system to the east.
Find a Home in Lawrencetown
- Beaver Bank - Upper & Middle Sackville
- Beechville - Lakeside - Timberlea
- Clayton Park - Rockingham
- Cole Harbour - Forest Hills
- Dartmouth East - Westphal
- Downtown Dartmouth - Dartmouth North
- Eastern Passage - Cow Bay
- Fall River
- Halifax County East – Eastern Shore
- Halifax, Nova Scotia (Peninsula)
- Hammonds Plains
- Harrietsfield - Sambro - Prospect - Terence Bay
- Lake Echo - Preston
- Lower Sackville
- Porters Lake
- Purcell's Cove - Herring Cove
- Southdale - Woodside - Manor Park - Crichton Park
- Waverley - Montebello
- Westphal - Lake Loon - Cherry Brook
- Woodlawn - Portland Estates