Porters Lake is a rural community in the Eastern Shore region of the Halifax Regional Municipality. It is located between Trunk 7 and Route 207, 27.8 km from Halifax. The residents mainly commute to jobs in Dartmouth, Burnside Industrial Park or in Downtown Halifax. The community is built around the lake from which it takes its name.
Although considered a rural community within the municipality. The community has been slowly growing, year by year. The area has many amenities and recreational opportunities. In the main shopping area located off Trunk 7, you can find shopping, gas stations, restaurants, banking, pharmacy and more. Urban sprawl has made Porters Lake a popular area for families looking for a quiet community with close access to the 107 Highway into Dartmouth. The community is serviced by Metro Transit X route 370.
census (2011) 3,202
O'Connell Drive Elementary: Grades PP – 6
Porters Lake Elementary: Grades PP – 6
- Gaetz Brook Junior High: Grades 7 – 9, including French Immersion
- Eastern Shore District High: Grades 10 – 12, including French Immersion
The Lake & Shore Community Recreation Centre is a gathering place for the community offering sport, recreation, cultural and social activities to the greater Porter’s Lake, East Lawrencetown and Chezzetcook areas. Recreation programs and rental space is available.
The Porters Lake Community Centre offers a gathering place for events & activities for Porters Lake & the surrounding areas.
Located off West Lawrencetown Road is Porters Lake Provincial Park, which offers camping, picnic areas, boat launch, swimming and hiking opportunities. Kinap beach is found next to the Porters Lake provincial park. The small sandy swimming area is supervised by lifeguards on weekdays only. The lake is known for boating and fishing.
Porters Lake Properties
- Beaver Bank - Upper & Middle Sackville
- Beechville - Lakeside - Timberlea
- Clayton Park - Rockingham
- Cole Harbour - Forest Hills
- Dartmouth East - Westphal
- Downtown Dartmouth - Dartmouth North
- Eastern Passage - Cow Bay
- Fall River
- Halifax County East – Eastern Shore
- Halifax, Nova Scotia (Peninsula)
- Hammonds Plains
- Harrietsfield - Sambro - Prospect - Terence Bay
- Lake Echo - Preston
- Lower Sackville
- Porters Lake
- Purcell's Cove - Herring Cove
- Southdale - Woodside - Manor Park - Crichton Park
- Waverley - Montebello
- Westphal - Lake Loon - Cherry Brook
- Woodlawn - Portland Estates